Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My time with Janka Nabay during Foburg

OpenHouse had the pleasure of bringing Brooklyn via Sierra Leone artist, Janka Nabay for our One Eyed Jacks show Sunday (Along with Empress Hotel, Monogold (BK) and Tiny Victories (BK). I have been throwing concerts for close to 20 years and I have to say, I have never been as disappointed at a crowd turnout. Not because of money or business, but because this was genuinely one of the best shows I've been to in quite some time and a unique bill of super talent. But I digress...
When Janka arrived in NOLA we decided to bring him around town and shoot some video of him and the Bubu Gang. Our first location, Congo Square. We all know the musical significance of Congo Square, the geographical birthplace of all popular American music. Janka is a true ambassador of Bubu music and possibly the only artist outside of Africa even performing this style of music.
The following footage of Janka at Congo Square may very well be the first time this music has been played in this location since slaves gathered on Sundays to sing. Heavy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment